I bought the donor Morini and it sat in the corner of the workshop for
6 months while I just looked at it imagining how I wanted it to be. My brief was to remain faithful to the original design and attempt to create a Café Racer that looked like it was an ongoing project almost from the day it was new, using and improving as much of the original componentry as possible. Then one day out came the angle grinder and I created the form I was trying to achieve by shortening the top sub-frame, relocating the electrics, removing the centre stand and as many of the fittings as possible to create a much cleaner and lighter look.
The donor bike was in fact a Strada with a Sport engine and twin disc upgrade, I machined the riser mounts off the top triple-clamp and created a housing for the Motogadget Mini digital readout that replaced the standard clocks. The riser holes were utilised for the custom warning lights that I made by drilling out button-head allen bolts and inserting coloured LED’s into them. The old holes that were used to mount the original dash will have Motogadget push button fitted for the starter (when I can find one!) and to program the Motogadget Mini. Once the frame was cleaned and de-tagged it was powder-coated Espresso Brown along with the original wheels, forks, master cylinder, brake discs and callipers,battery box, splash guard, clip on fixings and sundries. Upgraded electrics and a Motogadget M-Lock keyless ignition were fitted and the bike has been re-wired with a custom loom.
The engine and gearbox was completely stripped down, the original black finish removed and the casings polished, all internals have been re-furbished and brand new bearings, seals and gaskets fitted. The side panels were cut and re-shaped, original front mudguard shortened into a sweet little stubby, replacement exhausts were fitted with custom build un-baffled megaphones. The rear swing-arm bearings were replaced with roller needle bearings. I sourced a square headlamp in keeping with the sharp lines of the bike and maintaining the 70’s look and feel. The tank, side panels and front mudguard have been custom painted in a metallic brushed bronze effect.
- Tarozzi Adjustable Clip-ons.
- NOS original Morini switchgear.
- Replica brown gum Tommaselli grips.
- Tommaselli Twin-pull throttle.
- Original restored Tommaselli clutch lever
- Original restored Grimeca brake lever and master cylinder.
- Original fuel tank.
- No rear fender but custom splash guard to protect the electrics.
- Original frame chopped and de-tagged, shortened sub-frame.
- Tarozzi rear-sets, black finish removed then polished.
- Off-the-shelf square headlamp.
- Still trying to source a tail light that I like, may revert to original idea of fitting LED’s.
- No indicators but wiring in place should there be a need.
- Motogadget Mini digital speedo and rev counter
- Motogadget M-Lock keyless ignition.
- Original battery case.
- Custom made un-baffled megaphone exhausts.
- Original kick pedal polished.
- Engine overhauled, new bearings, seals and gaskets and polished.
- Original carbs rebuilt and refurbished, polished float bowls.
- Original airbox. Can’t mess with this on Morini’s.
- Standard wheels powder coated Espresso Brown.
- Original Front forks rebuilt and legs powder coated.
- Hagon rear shocks.
- HEL Brake Lines.
- Modified Side Panels.
- Custom Seat.
- Custom metallic brushed bronze paintwork on tank. side panels and front mudguard.